Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Almost There Chocolate Chip Cookies


I have been struggling with making the perfect chocolate chip cookie and these are pretty darn close. My only quibble is that they are a tad puffy rather than flat and Mrs. Fields like. Hopefully, with a bit more tinkering I can make them match the cookies of my pre-allergy memory. The taste, I have to say is, just about perfect. If anyone has any suggestions, let me know! I've been thinking of trying to use brown sugar and substitute some of the coconut oil with vegan margarine. 

Makes about 24 cookies.

COOKIE INGREDIENTS:

1 cup coconut oil, melted
2 tablespoons vanilla
1 tablespoon molasses
pinch of salt (optional)
3/4 agave nectar
2 cups wheat free flour
1/2 cup ground up gluten free oats
1 1/2 tsp xantham gum
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup vegan chocolate chips

COOKIE DIRECTIONS:

In a bowl, combine the oil, vanilla, molasses, and agave nectar. Then, using a sieve, add the flour, xantham gum, salt, soda, cinnamon and oat flour. Sift this in and stir. Fold the chocolate chips in and mix until the dough is not shiny. Drop on a lined cookie sheet and spread the dough out a bit with an inverted spatula. Bake at 325 degrees for about nine minutes.

Store in an airtight container for upto 3 days. Refrigerate for longer life. 

1 comment:

  1. Great posts, all around! This is really missing from the cooking blog community. There's some great stuff here that I can make for my vegan brother. Keep it up.

    P.S. I'm from that evening McLuhan course if you remember. What are you up to these days?

    ReplyDelete