Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Wheat and Dairy Free Vegan Nanaimo Bars



Nanaimo Bars are as Canadian as Whoopie Pies are American. I don't think I've ever eaten a Nanaimo Bar outside of Canada where, aside from the occasional bake sale they are not even that common. The first time I had one was on the ferry ride to Nanaimo in British Columbia. I would like to say that trip was my first 'research trip' for this blog, but it was really just a trip to visit a friend who lives on Vancouver Island, where Nanaimo is located. My friend's mother-in-law is a fantastic baker and she introduced me to these treats and directed me to this recipe

I was a bit nervous to share the recipe I've posted below because, upon further research, I've discovered that Canadians seem to be quite opinionated in their interpretations of Nanaimo Bars. In one recipe I found, former food editor for the Vancouver Sun, Barbara McQuade, wrote pointedly "Many different versions exist – mocha, mint, etc., but the original is still the favorite." The above link to the Nanaimo government website uses equally strong words to discredit a similar dessert called New York Slice. I haven't adjusted the official recipe too much, but there were some obvious limits to the original for those who are avoiding wheat and dairy. Another adjustment I've made allows these bars to be eaten at room temperature. Most recipes suggest keeping them in the fridge until ready to serve and can be quite messy to handle if they get too warm. 

One final note to those with dietary concerns: Feel free to adjust this recipe, especially the bottom layer, according to your needs. I've kept the original ingredient list (more or less), but if someone feels (and someone has) that a bar with maraschino cherries in the base and the jar's juice in the filling still deserves to be called a Nanaimo bar, then I think anything you omit in order to partake in enjoying these little goodies is fine too. The graham cracker crumbs will likely pose the largest obstacle and I encourage you to try cereals or other plain crackers.

Makes aprox. 12 bars

NANAIMO BAR INGREDIENTS:

1/2 cup vegan margarine + 1 tbs margarine (divided)
1/4 cup granulated sugar
5 tbs cocoa powder
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups gluten free vegan graham cracker crumbs
1/2 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
1/2 cup finely chopped nuts (I usually use walnuts)
2 tbs. Bird's Custard Powder
2 cups confectioner's sugar
5-8 tbs soy milk or other milk substitute
4 oz semi sweet chocolate
1 tbs corn syrup

NANAIMO BAR INSTRUCTIONS:

Over medium heat, melt 1/2 cup margarine with the cocoa, sugar, and vanilla. When this mixture has thickened (about ten minutes) turn off the heat and add the crumbs, coconut, and nuts. Press this mixture into a 9x9 pan that is lined with tin foil. Pop this layer in the fridge and let it cool. While this is cooling, you can get started on the next layer. 

In a medium bowl, whisk together the custard powder with 5 tbs of soy milk. Add the icing sugar a 1/4 cup at a time and add milk as necessary. The mixture will be quite thick. Pat this layer on top of the base making it as smooth as possible. Place the tin in the freezer while you work on the last layer. In the double boiler, melt 1 tbs margarine, corn syrup, and chocolate until a smooth mixture forms. Pour this over the cold layers. Allow the chocolate to firm up for about 1/2 hour before you cut it into squares. 

No comments:

Post a Comment