Thursday, June 18, 2009

Gluten Free Chocolate Mint Vegan Fudge


My childhood treat choices are dominated by a love for chocolate mint, beat only by my boyfriend's, who considers himself a "chocolate mint connoisseur." I must admit my affection for the combination has waned with the popularity of the more recent coupling of sea salt and caramel, but I still carry a torch for this Baskin Robbins flavor standby. 

This recipe is a variation on the many fudge recipes that dot the internet. My chief aim was to make something that didn't turn into icing when left out of the fridge for too long. The addition of Vegan rice fluff is absolutely not traditional, but many simple fudge recipes call for marshmallows and it gave me the idea. 

I added some chocolate cookie crumbs I had left in the freezer because I love the crunch, but you can leave it out of course. And, while mint was an obvious choice for me, I've made this with a 2 tablespoons of strongly brewed chai tea and some cinnamon, vanilla bean seeds, and just plain chocolate with tasty results. 

One last important note: Use natural peppermint extract. Otherwise, this fudge will taste less like your childhood and more like a trip to the dentist. 

This recipe yields aprox. 8 squares.

FUDGE INGREDIENTS

1/2 cup + 1/2 cup vegan fluff
7 tbs + 2 tbs coconut butter
3 tbs + 4 tbs soy milk
1/2 cups vegan white chocolate
1 cup + 1/4 cup icing sugar
1 tbs peppermint extract
1 drop green food coloring (optional)
1/2 cup vegan chocolate chips
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup chopped cookie crumbs (optional)

FUDGE DIRECTIONS:

Grease a loaf pan and set near your work station. Over very low heat melt 3/4 fluff, 5 tbs coconut butter, 3 tbs soy milk, and white chocolate until completely melted and combined. Turn off the heat and add 1 cup icing sugar. You may need to return the pan to low heat to combine the sugar. Add the peppermint and food coloring if using and adjust to your preference. Pour the ingredients into the pan. 

In a clean pot, melt the remaining fluff, coconut butter and soy milk with the chocolate chips. Add the vanilla and icing sugar. Remove from heat and add the cookie crumbs if using. The fudge should be thick and pourable. Dot the chocolate on top of the mint fudge and swirl using a skewer. Or make into two layers. Place the pan in the fridge to firm up, about 1 hour. 

No comments:

Post a Comment