Monday, May 11, 2009

Wheat and Dairy Free Strawberry Cake


I first made this cake as one of three layers for a Napoleon themed cake, but I think it it quite good on its own. The strawberries make the cake the loveliest color of pink and with the white vanilla icing the whole effect is really quite charming. This cake takes quite well to other types of berries: if you are lucky enough to live in a place where you can get something fresh, I strongly encourage you to try them! I've used all margarine here because prunes ended up darkening the cake and I love the pure, baby-cheeked simplicity of soft pink and white. 

For the all-purpose flour, I've used a medley from Bob's Red Mill. The company recommends adding xanthan gum. However, during a cooking session with Mark Bitten and Jamie Oliver I watched once, the chefs advised against eating anything with a name you cannot pronounce and I've internalized that tidbit into a bit of a mantra. That being said, many chefs swear by it and if you prefer not to snatch at bits of media sensationalism and take them as the gospel, you are probably better off for it. 

The cake I am making here is for two: so I've used one square pan and cut the baked cake into two rectangles. If you would like a proper layer cake double the recipe. This recipe is an adaption from Sprinkles Bakery, which makes cupcakes, and I've tried this recipe as cupcakes as well. You will get about eight large ones or a dozen medium sized ones from this recipe. 

CAKE INGREDIENTS:

1/3 cup (generous) of pureed strawberries, fresh or from frozen
1 tsp. vanilla
1 1/4 cup wheat free pastry flour (or regular if you don't have it)
2 egg whites
1 large egg
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. custard powder (optional)
large pinch salt
1/4 cup soy milk (I use vanilla if I have it)
1/2 cup margarine
3/4 cup sugar
drop or two of red food coloring (optional)

CAKE DIRECTIONS:

In one bowl mix the strawberries, vanilla, soy milk, and red food coloring if using. In another bowl sift or whisk together the flour, baking powder, custard powder (if using), and salt. Then, beat the egg whites to soft peaks that barely hold their shape. I usually just use a whisk, it only takes a few minutes. 

In your mixer, beat the margarine and sugar together and add the whole egg and mix until combined. Beginning with the flour, alternate between the strawberry-soy mixture and the flour mixture. When these have been just blended into the margarine, sugar, and egg, fold the egg whites in gently. Pour the batter into a well greased tin and bake at 350 degrees for 20 to 30 minutes. The cake will become enticingly spongy on the top and a cake tester should come out dry. 

ICING INGREDIENTS:

5 large strawberries, pureed.
2 cups icing sugar
2 tbs. margarine
1 tb. soy milk

ICING DIRECTIONS:

Since there are many options for the size of this cake, I've provided enough to generously ice the cake shown. But I consider these measurements a ratio in the Michael Ruhlman sense, so feel free to double, half, or whatever you need to suit your needs. I've left the seeds in because they provide a crunchy burst of strawberry flavor, but if you take them out with a sieve, you will have something quite professional looking. I also made the same icing without the strawberries to use for piping.

Blend the margarine, strawberries, soy milk until smooth. Then spoon in the icing sugar until the icing is spreadable. 



p.s. the couple who I baked this cake for were sweet enough to send in a picture of it cut to post here. Thanks guys!


No comments:

Post a Comment